Feel the Freedom… of sailing with a Hydrovane.
What is a Hydrovane?
The HYDROVANE is the product of an engineer’s lifetime passion. Derek Daniels, an engineer from Nottingham, England was the founder and inventor of the Hydrovane and made it his life’s work. The initial concept was to develop a system better than the standard servo pendulum windvanes. The Curry family, owners of HYDROVANE since 2002, have continued to develop the amazing product and today’s HYDROVANE is commonly recognized as the ‘rolls royce’ of windvanes, proven over almost 50 years of ocean voyaging.
HYDROVANE is both:
- SELF STEERING WINDVANE SYSTEM – a completely independent mechanical system that steers the boat on a wind-based course. Easiest to operate, with no lines in the cockpit, and excellent on all points of sail and in all conditions.
- EMERGENCY STEERING – The strongest Emergency Rudder and Steering System available today – always in place, nothing to set-up – ‘Ready to Go’ – takes the fear out of losing your rudder or breaking your vessel’s steering mid passage.
What will a Hydrovane do for you?
Be a Dependable Extra Crew Member
- Doesn’t quit … on duty 24 hours a day to steer the boat
- Quietly and naturally performs its duties … needs no attention and never talks back!
- Consumes no power… less reliance on charging systems and electronics
- Will be the primary workhorse of all your passages
- Just as diesel engines have not replaced sails as the best method of crossing an ocean – autopilots cannot beat the quiet reliability of mechanical self steering on ocean passages
Help You Enjoy Short-Handed Sailing
- User friendly – users marvel that when put into gear that it ‘just works’ – no tedious teething or tuning needed
- Will give you added confidence in your boat and equipment
- Enjoy improved vessel motion – with the main rudder locked in a position that eliminates weather helm the boat becomes naturally stable
- Allow you time and energy to tend to tasks other than steering
- Greatly reduces your daily power consumption when not running an autopilot
HYDROVANE is your best insurance against the unexpected – it will steer you safely to port in situations that cross every sailor’s mind…
- Autopilot fails
- Batteries are low
- Engine won’t start
- Steering broken
- Main rudder lost
- Crew incapacitated
Survive against the elements
- Faultless and Steady in All Conditions
- Superbly engineered
- Just won’t break down
- Over 5,000 units built since 1968