About our Company
The Curry family are proud owners of HYDROVANE International Marine. An intrepid family of sailors and adventurers with thousands of offshore miles between them, they are passionate about cruising and the many benefits of self steering.
- 1968 – Derek Daniels of Nottingham, England commenced the development of the unique Hydrovane self steering system.
- The Hydrovane gained recognition for its clever engineering and robustness – it became well known in Europe.
- Over the years there have been 11 different models although the significant changes occurred in the 70’s and 80’s.
- In the late 1960’s John Curry worked on a charter boat in the Caribbean and sailed in the 1968 Transatlantic race on ‘Stormvogel’. In the early 1970’s he and his wife to be, Karen, sailed from Panama to Tahiti. It was on that trip that the they developed a passion for cruising.
- 1996 – John and Karen – of West Vancouver, Canada – took their teenage boys out of school for a year and sailed to Mexico for the winter and then back home to Vancouver via Hawaii. Their windvane steered them the whole way.
- Upon returning from cruising, John and Karen knew their lives would never be the same. John returned to his accounting practice and Karen returned to teaching, but change was in their future.
- 2002 – Derek Daniels retired and sold the Hydrovane business to John and Karen.
- Head office (sales and marketing) moved to Canada, while manufacturing remained in Nottingham, England.
- 2006 – John and Karen’s son Will joined the business. Will’s passion for boats and his sailing experience made him a great addition to the family team.
- 2006 – while exhibiting at the Dusseldorf boat show, the Curry’s came to know Michael Bauza of Echo Tec Marine in Trinidad. Hydrovane became a worldwide distributor of Echo Tec watermakers.
- More significant changes were made to the Hydrovane’s most current model, the VXA2D. These changes include a larger semi-balanced rudder and super duplex stainless shaft, which allow for application on larger and heavier boats.
- 2012 – Will and his wife Sarah bought their own cruising boat and Sarah also joined the business. They sailed across the Pacific (Mexico to Australia) in 2013 while still working – finding wifi connections in the most remote places! Their Hydrovane ‘Ernest’ steered 95% of the way.
- 2013 – Hydrovane became a representative for Watt & Sea Hydrogenerators.
- 2014 – Hydrovane became the North American distributor for Dynad’s Hydromax 150 fuel cell.
- The Hydrovane is exhibited worldwide at boat shows including: Southampton UK, Annapolis USA, Seattle USA, Oakland USA, Amsterdam Netherlands, Dusseldorf Germany, and Paris France.
About our Team